Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ridiculously Long Songs

So it should be known that I am a huge fan of very long songs. I love listening to a song that transitions and really gives itself enough space and time to break out of traditional structure. So I'm going to post a few of them now, and probably a few more every now and then.

Kissing the Beehive by Wolf Parade




This is the concluding track off of Wolf Parade's second album At Mount Zoomer and probably my favorite on the record. I'm obviously a huge fan of Sunset Rubdown, so I like most things that Spencer Krug is attached too, but I've always been a little skeptical about whether or not I like Wolf Parade. Sure I like songs like "I'll Believe in Anything", but those songs are very much Spencer Krug songs and not so much a Wolf Parade song. However, "Kissing the Beehive" has made up my mind for me. I like Wolf Parade. The song starts out like any other with Dan's vocals telling a narrative about sailing down a river, only to be interrupted by Spencer Krug speaking directly to the narrator "As if you didn't know that it would sting". I won't go into every moment of the song, but the sequence building up to the second movement of the song where Krug sings "Jonathan, Jonathan" is just great and the rest of the song has a great beat that you can really groove too.

Check it Out: Kissing the Beehive



Sao Paolo by Guillemots



This is my favorite song off of the Guillemots's first album Through the Window Pane. Yes it's a sad song about a lost love in Brazil, but the intense emotion accented by the roaring movements of the orchestra also make it a very uplifting song. Not a lot of love has been given to this band from across the seas, so I hope everyone gives this song a listen and supports this band, with hopes that they will once again tour in the states.

Check it Out Sao Paolo

No comments:

Post a Comment